We’ve just started a cold bug. I started to get that icky-sicky feeling about half way through the work day, and Josiah has definitely had the sniffles for the last few days. Obviously I’m no doctor, but I’m making an educated guess when I say it has a little (or a lottle) to do with my slacking off in the natural health department. The holidays, followed by moving, meant I dropped the ball on anything that wasn’t eating, sleeping, and going to work. Basically I made sure we didn’t die, but that was it.
There are a few things I’ve done that aided our family in being pretty stinking healthy this winter, up until now. Josiah had two viruses in December, but we know exactly where they came from…family, the people he was around A LOT. So although I wish I could have prevented those bugs, I count it a blessing that he’s been less sick this year (so far!) than in years past.
Here’s my list of super simple immunity boosters…
- Drink enough water
- Get enough sleep (seriously, 8 hours should be a minimum, folks!)
- Keep your sinuses moist (I know about 97% of you just cringed at the word moist). I went to a D.O. when I lived in Indianapolis, and he said keeping your sinuses from drying out is one of the most effective ways to ward off upper respiratory illnesses. I can totally attest to that! Try these ways:
- Run a vaporizer or humidifier around that clock, or at least when you are sleeping. I’ve had the most success with the cheapy vaporizer I bought from CVS this year. It is working so much better than the fancy humidifier I bought for Josiah’s nursery. The vaporizer has a little pool for Vick’s vapor rub, but I just put essential oils in it!
- Salt-water nasal spray daily. You can make it or buy a saline spray to pop in your purse/backpack for a few dollars. I’d suggest reading the ingredients and avoiding preservatives. Keep it natural!
- Salt-water nasal rinse. Again, you can make this or buy it.
- Take vitamins and supplements. Yes, you should be able to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from your diet, but let’s face it…even our organic foods have lost potency, because our land has been stripped of it’s health by modern farming techniques (READ: God’s ways are ALWAYS better than man’s).
- Limit refined sugar intake. That stuff is terrible (I know – I have felt like crud since the move, because I’ve been eating so many quick, convenient foods! Ew!)
- Use essential oils. I know you’re sick of hearing this from all the oily Mommas on the interwebs, but they really do boost your system (and they smell gooooood!). I use the NOW brand, and I know all you fancy oil subscribers are tisk-tisking. We have a limited budget, and this is the best option I can provide my family in this season. Even the cheap oils are better than no oils. Our winter is proof. Don’t judge a sista’s oils, okay?!
- Live simply. A stressful life is a sick life. What can you cut out?
- Exercise. Get that blood pumping! This helps cut the stress! Exercise is a need, not a luxury. Do whatever you have to do to make it happen. I found some great beginner yoga videos online, and they have been a game changer. Yes, I’d love to have access to the incredible gym where I pumped iron (Ha!) in college, but that just isn’t my reality…and it’s not an excuse not to take care of my body.
Taking care of yourself can be very simple, but you can’t let it slide when life gets crazy. Take my word for it! <sniffle sniffle>